Friday 30 October 2015

My Theme for COP3 - More refinement notes

After my tutorial with Annabeth, I critically went over my proposal for my theme and changed a few parts, giving more influence from storyboards into my essay with more interdisciplinary themes; all about composition.

Instead of beginning with the silent era I will be starting with historical artifacts through interdisciplinary mediums, Camera Obscura, painters within the Renaissance era, Rembrandt, John Martin and John Everett Millais, Photographers within world war 2, Henri Cartier-Bresson with his iconic stairs photograph, Modern painters, Edward Hopper. From this I would then discuss the early stages of film and editing with Pudovkin, Disney being pioneers in storyboarding, Glen Keane, Hitchock storyboards, Psycho and The Birds, Alien storyboards, Spielberg. Theories ranging from, Gestalt, Semiotics, Structuralism, Formalism, Classicism, Realism, Narrative Retardation, 'Screen Mirror', Visual Perception. Also looking into debates from, Mitry, Mitz, Baudry, Eco and MacCabe.
When looking into modern storyboards, talking about industry with influence from the ones that I have visited recently, Arcus and Kilogramme. Look at storyboards as a sequential art leading to the role of a Layout Artist and Previs. This will link well with synthesis chapter. Looking into storyboards that were made into a film/animation - Jodorowsky’s Dune and The Sandman Comic.

My Practical has changed dramatically with the theme, I will still be making storyboards but losing the genre side and focusing on cinematography and editing of the composition. Using my extended practice premise and characters to build from, I will be making a episodic premise and script as the main short plot to the storyboards. There will be two main storyboards:

+ Perspective
+ Flat Perspective

Leading up to these storyboards will be developments using different media, and approaches to perspective, photography of the shots that I want to take using cinematography, creating a model of the exterior and interior of the backgrounds - then taking pictures of this to figure out the best modes of perspective; ultimately how this will influence the audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment