Thursday 14 January 2016

COP3 Practical - Final Storyboards



For my final practical outcome, I merged the premise, character designs, thumbnail boards and final storyboards together to create a finished book of work. This finished book shows how the visual storytelling has traveled from the premise and continued through each composition drawn. It shows how the development thumbnails have combined together to create an innovative approach to the composition in my storyboards, a merged perspective.

My practical outcome has changed considerably throughout this module, however this was always due to learning methods and techniques of manipulation in composition whilst writing my dissertation. This is how the animatic side to the practical was never continued, I debated this for awhile and the inclusion of the animatic was not needed as it didn't show a strong synthesis. An animatic would have been fantastic to show the movement of the camera angle and a parallax of the primary planes however it would not have worked with my core question as well as finished storyboards. Whilst discussing my practical outcome in my last tutorial, an idea of including quotes within the pages of the final storyboards was given. I quite liked this idea but I wasn't entirely sure if it would work well, the quotes from my dissertation are from theorists arguments about realism or from describing the concept of Screen Mirror. However I added these quotes in the boards and it not only worked aesthetically, it brought that academic approach to practical, creating a beautiful link between both pieces of work. I loved the look of it and it did read well with the storyboards compared to my original thoughts. 

The finished storyboards show my approach to the methods, film language and techniques that I have analysed throughout my dissertation. I have thoroughly enjoyed this project as it has allowed me to create refined storyboards for a portfolio of work, it has given me the opportunity to learn and improve my knowledge of film language and composition, how the importance is vital for a storyboard artist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment